Wayside Signs are a fantastic way to communicate the significance of a site's history to visitors 24/7. We work with you to write the content and design the sign's appearance.
The Plano Conservancy for Historic Preservation Inc., seeks to install new wayside signs annually with the assistance of grant funding from the City of Plano Heritage Commission.
We select our wayside sign sites based on their historical, architectural, or cultural merit and significance. Since funding for many of the signs comes from City of Plano grants, they must be installed within Plano city limits. Alternatively funded wayside signs are also an option for locations outside of Plano.
Nestled in the modern Shops at Legacy complex, this cemetery was established in 1847 by the Cook family.
Located just south of Bethany Cemetery, this early Plano settlement site included a church and school begun by the group of families that lived nearby.
This cemetery is located on the northside of the Sam Rayburn Tollway. The wayside sign was financed by a grant form the Collin County Historical Commission.
This wayside sign is located in Stimpson and Drake Park on H Avenue. The sign contains a short history of Plano's Douglass Community and the Douglass Mosaic.
This wayside sign is located in Downtown Plano next to the DART line to educate tourists about the history of the Houston & Texas Central rail which ran through the area.
Located in Historic Downtown Plano, this cemetery was the African-American cemetery for those in the Douglass Community.
Located in the Douglass Community in Historic Downtown Plano, this cemetery is home to some of Plano's earliest settlers. This cemetery was recently restored by the Plano Conservancy after falling into neglect and disrepair.
During segregation, Rice Field was home to both the Plano Wildcats and the Plano Panthers football teams. The sign is located at the corner of G Avenue and 18th Street.
The Shawnee Trail was one of the famous trails of the cattle drive era. The route through Plano was close to today's Preston Road.
Wildcat Stadium was home of the Plano High School football team from 1964 to 1975.
In 1847 a small cemetery was started on the Texas prairie, just south of West Rowlett Creek. Today that cemetery is landlocked by an apartment complex to the west and a golf course to the south and east. The one-acre site was set aside for family members and friends who helped settle the area near the present-day crossroads of Plano, McKinney, Frisco and Allen.